ESGR Upcoming Events:
For more info, go to the UPCOMING EVENTS banner at the bottom of this page OR click the CALENDAR link here or on the left side of this page.
- Feb 12 - HHC Community Days - Free Admission
- Feb 14 - Member Meeting: Erie Library’s Heritage Room Holdings
- Feb 16 - DNA: Plotting ethnicity estimates on a chromosome map
- Feb 28 – Genealogy: Will, Probate, Estate and Guardianship Records
- Mar 12 - ESGR @ HHC Community Days, Free Census Lookups
- Mar 14 - Annual Member Meeting: Society Overview and Election of Officers
- Mar 28 – Finding and Using Historical Newspapers
- Mar 30 - DNA: Topic to be determined
- Apr 11 - Member meeting: Erie Maritime Museum
- Apr 16 - ESGR @ HHC Community Days, Free Census Lookups
- Apr 25 - Enhancing Your Genealogical Story with Social History
- May 9 - Member Meeting: Genealogy Road Trip - Overview and Preparation
- May 14 - HHC Community Days - Free Admission
- May 23 - Finding/Using Alternatives to Vital Records
- Jun 13 - Member meeting: PA Soldiers & Sailors Home
- Jun 27 - Beginning Genealogy
- Jul 11 - Member meeting: TBD
August 10th -12th, 2023: Join us for our Genealogy Road Trip to Erie!
We will begin on Thursday, August 10th with our annual picnic at Erie's Presque Isle State Park! We are collaborating with the Erie Co. Historical Society's Hagen History Center on additional activities. They include a genealogy open house at the history center with representatives from the smaller Erie township historical societies; guided tours of history center's archive and key museum exhibits, the Erie courthouse, and the Erie Blasco Public library's Heritage Room. On Saturday, August 12th, join us as American Ancestors presents an all day genealogy seminar.
Come early, stay later to visit the sites and/or conduct individual research.
Welcome! If you have not yet joined The Erie Society for Genealogical Research (ESGR), we'd like to tell you about some of the benefits of membership in our society. We hope you'll agree that joining ESGR is a great idea. When you are a member of ESGR, you become part of a community of shared interest in the history and families of Erie County, Pennsylvania and the nearby area. Our members range from beginners to people with many years of genealogy research experience.
Members enjoy many benefits:
- Access to the Members-Only section of our website;
- Receive the Keystone Kuzzins, or quarterly newsletter;
- Hear knowledgeable speakers with expertise in a broad ranges of areas, including research tips and trends and presentations related to the rich history of Erie County, Pennsylvania and the nearby area; and
- Volunteer on initiatives to nurture and foster an interest in genealogical research and education, and projects to preserve and perpetuate the genealogical and historical heritage of Erie County and the surrounding area.
- Join in on social events, including summer picnics and holiday gatherings.
To renew, you can now pay your dues online. Click on the small bell on the upper right corner of this homepage for payment options. Please note that you must already be a member of ESGR, and be registered on this website, to use this feature.
To join, please go to the "Join ESGR" link at the left; fill out a membership application and mail with your check. Once received, we will register you on our website and you will then receive all ESGR member communications.